11 Mar Being Well Podcast: Understanding Shame
Shame is one of the most common, damaging experiences all of us face in our lives, and understanding shame and learning to deal with and heal shame injuries over time is a key part of becoming as healthy and happy as possible.
During this episode we explore:
- Where shame comes from, and if there’s natural variation in how people experience shame.
- Sociopathy and related tendencies, and how they represent outliers from the common shame experience.
- How we can become more susceptible to shame over time, and the role our childhood plays in laying a foundation of shame injuries.
- The complex layering of our emotional states that can make shame hard to identify.
- How we can work with, and ultimately reduce, shame over time.
I hope you enjoy this episode, I think it’s one of the really important ones.
1:30: Defining shame.
4:10: Is there natural variation in how strongly people feel shame?
10:00: Shame injuries and shaming experiences during childhood.
13:30: Developing susceptibility to shame.
18:20: Abuse and shame.
24:30: The complex layering of our emotions.
27:00: Working with and reducing shame.
If you would like to learn about Dr. Hanson’s new online program Neurodharma, follow this link!
In this online program, you will experience and develop seven qualities at the heart of the highest happiness – and live from them more deeply and continuously.
You’ll learn from both ancient wisdom and modern neuroscience, engaging your brain and body as you explore the upper reaches of human potential.
You’ll get ideas and methods to be more present, have compassion for yourself and others, rest in a calm and grateful confidence, feel whole, and know your interconnectedness with everything.
Included with the program are over 15 hours of powerful video teachings on the science and wisdom of Neurodharma, over 6 hours of guided practices, 8 weeks of guidance with regular email encouragement, downloadable handouts and audio files, and lifetime access and a 30-day full-refund guarantee.
Use the code BEINGWELL for 10% off the purchase price.