With the neurologist and meditation teacher, Richard Mendius, MD., I founded the non-profit (501c3) Wellspring Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom.
Its mission is to offer skillful means for changing the brain to benefit the whole person – and all beings in a world too full of war. It draws on psychology, neurology, and the great contemplative traditions for tools that anyone can use in daily life for greater happiness, love, effectiveness, and wisdom.
The Institute aims to accomplish this mission through:
• Highlighting the discoveries and methods found in the intersection of psychology, neurology, and contemplative practice
• Addressing a range of needs, from psychological healing and well-being to spiritual realization
• Respecting the unique path of each person through offering a diversity of tools that one can systematically individualize
• Collecting, organizing, and distributing resources for psychological and spiritual growth; actively supporting the work of others aligned with the Institute’s mission
• Maintaining an empirical, ecumenical, and pragmatic attitude; not privileging science over spiritual wisdom or vice versa, and not privileging any particular contemplative tradition (or school within a tradition)
The major activities of the Institute include:
• Maintaining and expanding the Wise Brain website, a hub of resources for psychological well-being and spiritual depth
• Initiating Your Skillful Means website, an expanding resource of psychological, interpersonal, and spiritual methods; unlike most wikis, which focus on content, this one offers tools
• Publishing the Wise Brain Bulletin
• Sponsoring focused, low-overhead research activities, such as studies of peak states of mind
• Supporting the dissemination of useful information and skills through lectures, classes, and workshops
• Putting on conferences, such as an annual interfaith meeting: “This Is Your Brain on . . . God?”
We would be deeply grateful for any contribution you could make to the Institute, including your good wishes, letting us publish your work, telling us about great resources, volunteering a little time, or making a donation.
Your financial contributions are tax-deductible, and Wellspring’s tax ID is 26-0328057. Please make checks out to the “Wellspring Institute for Neuroscience and Contemplative Wisdom,” and mail them to: Wellspring Institute, 25 Mitchell Blvd., Suite 3, San Rafael, CA, 94903. If you would rather donate by credit card, simply click the donate button below.
Because of the leveraged nature of the Institute’s work, any support you offer will make a real difference in the great undertaking of helping us all gain greater control over the brain’s reactive patterns – for the sake of individual happiness, and for the sake of a planet poised on the edge of the sword.
The way our world tips will depend largely on whether a critical mass of people become more skillful with their own minds – and thus their own brains.